How to Prepare for Headshots
Take Flight Learning | Team Builders Plus
Before the Shoot
A haircut three to four days before the headshot day is recommended if you would like to remove split ends or tidy up a short haircut.
The Night Before
- Do not consume alcohol
- Get a good night's rest; it makes a huge difference in your photos!
- Drink lots of water to hydrate your skin and avoid chapped lips
- Colors: Greens, blues, pastels. Avoid overly bright colors. This is casual/business casual - no need to wear a jacket/etc.
- Feel bring to bring a couple of options - at the shoot, we will pick the one that looks best.
- Avoid shirts with a low cut (you can see examples of a low cut in the example images below)
- Makeup should be a light to medium amount (enough to show on camera but nothing over the top) - when in doubt, go with less makeup. I can't remove any makeup in Photoshop but I can always add some
- No highlight/contouring - it does not read well in headshots at all. Trust me on this one! Your cheek bones will look great from the lighting, I promise!
- Wear only a little mascara and very light eyeliner
- No colored eyeshadow, intense lipstick, etc. (Subtle, neutral colors only)
- Please make sure your makeup matches your skin tone and isn't too light, and blends well around your jawline and neck
- Avoid any sort of sparkly/shimmering makeup like the plague
- Bring your makeup and hair products with you to touch-up if needed
- Wear your hair as you would to work. If you don't typically style your hair, this is an opportunity for you to do so. Watch out for strays and frizz.
- Guys, makeup isn't necessary (a little cover-up over acne is totally fine)
- Earrings and a subtle necklace are acceptable.
The general idea is to look natural for the camera. That's why we stick to neutral colors and don't over-define the eyes. The makeup is supposed to enhance your look without looking overdone or unnatural.
Philadelphia Branding and Headshot Photographer
Entrepreneurs - Personal Brands - Small Businesses - Corporations - Creatives
Center City Studio
1209 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
300 N Pottstown Pike, Exton, PA 19341
(267) 888-4693 (call or text) | firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2021 Mike Styer Photography LLC